Who can apply?
- The Call invites submissions from both, private and public sector
- Non-governmental multipliers (economy, science, civil society)
- Applicants and implementing organisations must have a South African base and need to contribute financially or by in kind contribution/staff
The projects funding should be between 10,000 € and 30,000 €.
Activities may include conferences, workshops, panel discussions, webinars, side-events, risk analysis, training courses, networking of think tanks.
The focus lies on business opportunities of an ecological transformation as well as the biodiversity and climate nexus:
In response to climate change, societies need to shift their energy bases to renewables in the sense of “decarbonisation” and thus overcome the previous “fossil-nuclear” economy. It is crucial to also note the massive business and development opportunities in the framework of this ecological transformation and energy transition.
Biodiversity conservation plays a major role in responding to climate change and the challenges it poses.Changes in biodiversity, e.g. due to land use changes, deforestation, overexploitation of natural resources and pollution, have a negative impact on the climate system. At the same time, climate change has a negative impact on biodiversity: increased greenhouse gas emissions lead to rising average temperatures, altered precipitation patterns, more frequent extreme weather events, and to oxygen depletion and acidification of the oceans.
The German Foreign Office’s Climate Fund aims at supporting projects which will:
- present innovative ideas and solutions in the context of an ecological transformation
- contribute to awareness raising for climate change and biodiversity loss
- encourage a transfer of information regarding climate and biodiversity politics and diplomacy (UNFCCC, UNCBD)
- stimulate action oriented implementation at subnational and community level; motivate and involve all relevant actors and stakeholders
Applicants are expected to:
- complete the project within the year 2024
- define clear goals and deliverables that allow for monitoring and evaluation
- provide a detailed financial plan
- provide clear information on planned outreach activities and media coverage
- keep the Embassy informed throughout the entire period about the progress of the project including photo material
Please submit the following documents:
- Application Form PDF / 347 KB
- signed by two responsible employees of the submitting institution or designated persons in charge of the project
- Detailed description of the planned project, including clearly specified goals and objectives, target group(s), deliverables
- If applicable: information on cooperation with other Partners
The Embassy will do an initial screening and, if the above criteria are met, submit your proposal to the German Federal Foreign Office’s headquarters, where the selection process will be completed.
Please submit your proposal via e-mail by Monday, 27 November 2023 to: email@example.com