Human rights projects of the German Embassy
The protection and promotion of human rights are key priorities for the German Government. Article 1 of Germany’s Basic Law describes human rights as the basis of every community, of peace and of justice in the world. This means that Germany is committed to promoting human dignity and to protecting fundamental freedoms not only in Germany but throughout the world.
To promote this, the German Federal Foreign Office, through its Embassies all over the world, provides funds for sponsoring different projects supporting the protection of human rights all over the world. The amount of money granted can vary with a ceiling at 100.000 €. Essential for the application is a detailed financing plan that should include the use of some of your own resources. Furthermore, the application should include a description of how you would present your project results to the public (i.e. press releases, public events).
The German Embassy accepts project proposals for the respective following year by August 31. In case of a project selection, implementation can be started upon notification; usually project partners are notified in January or February and can commence their project implementation in February or March. As projects need to be fully implemented by December 31 of the respective year, their intended duration should not exceed 10-11 months.
Exemplary areas of support:
- Strengthening civil society, especially support for human rights defenders, human rights institutions and the media
- Protection and promotion of women's rights / children's rights
- Projects for a moratorium on the death penalty or its abolition
- Economic, social and cultural rights (incl. WASH, housing)
- Fighting climate change and environmental degradation
- Combatting torture and ill-treatment
- Combatting trafficking of human beings
- Fight against racism and discrimination (especially discrimination due to sexual orientation)
- Fight against impunity
- Improve prison conditions
- Support truth and reconciliation processes
Please send project proposals and the detailed financing plan (only complete proposals may be considered) to : email@example.com
Information for applicants (Guidelines)