Please submit your application for a Schengen Visa to the representative of the country which is your main destination - considering length and purpose of your intended stay. If no such main destination can be ascertained, please contact the representative of the country of your first entry into the Schengen Area.
Please use the following link to be guided through the application process:
- One completed visa apllication form Link to form
- valid minimum of 90 days after expiry of requested visa
- 2 copies of pages containing personal information
- copies of pages with recent Schengen visa(s)
- One recent biometric passport picture
Biometric specifications for photos PDF / 550 KB
Document confirming employment
- Employees: Letter of employment
- Self employed: Company registration/letter from accountant/letter from SARS
- Students: Proof of school/university attendance, confirming that student is exempt from attending lectures during requested travel period
- Medical Doctors: Licence to pratice from HPSCA
- Lawyers: Proof of registration with Law Association
Documents reflecting the nature of the business trip
Signed invitation letter from company in Germany with full address, confirmation of dates, purpose and confirmation on who will be liable for the costs of the trip
Information of event/congress/ trade fair to be participated in Germany
Documents confirming sufficient funds are available for the trip
- Current 3 months stamped bank statement of private bank account, or
- Current 3 months stamped bank statement of business account, or
- Legalized letter of obligation + written statement explaining the relationship between the inviting party and the applicant
- Note: No credit card statements
Flight-ticket and hotel reservation
- Flight reservation and travel itinerary
- Hotel reservation with full address for the entire time of stay in Schengen State(s)
Overseas medical insurance
- Valid for the duration of the requested Visa
- Minimum coverage of EUR 30,000 and repatriation
- Conditions must be stated either on insurance document or on separate confirmation letter
- Please note: Medical insurances connected to credit cards are not accepted
INFORMATION FOR THE APPLICANT
- The processing time for Visa applications takes two weeks according to the Schengen Visa Codex. The German missions and Intergate are committed to keep the processing time to a minimum.
- Due to the Biometric Data collection and processing a minimum of seven working days is required to process all Visa applications.
- Only complete applications can be accepted; Non-submission of necessary documentation may lead to a refusal
- During the processing period the passport has to remain with the German missions. Passports can only be withdrawn if a written request, signed by the applicant, is received. Consequently the application will be cancelled and the passport will be available for collection within 2 working days from Intergate.
- False or falsified documents will lead to refusal of visa and/ or further consequences
- The German missions reserve the right to ask for further supporting documents / information
- Visa extensions within Germany are generally not possible
- Applicants may not apply for permanent residence in Germany while on this Visa
- The German Mission may shorten the validity of the Visa without prior consultation
- in case of a one-year or multiple year visa being issued, the period of stay in a Schengen may not exceed 90 days per half a year, this period of stay beginning with the first day of entry into the Schengen state.
- Have you already had your fingerprints taken at an earlier application for a C-Schengenvisa ? If so, it may not be necessary for you to apply in person. However, in case the biometric capturing of your fingerprints failed or has been compromised due to a technical problem and cannot be used you must have your fingerprints taken again. In such case, you will be contacted by the mission or by “Intergate “respectively
Checklist, Fees, FAQs and Opening Hours
The visa fees for the different categories varies between 60,00 Euro and 75,00 Euro as listed below, payable in cash (South African Rand) or by credit card (Master and Visa cards only - NO debit cards accepted) upon application. Additional charges by your bank may apply when using a credit card.
The visa fees are determined according to §46 AufenthV, set in Euro, but are to be paid in South African Rand. The approximate Rand value of the visa will be determined by the exchange rate on the day.
Visa fees for various categories are as follows:
- Schengen Visa (stays of duration less than 90 days, category A, C): 60,00 Euro
- Minors between the age of 6 and 12: 35,00 Euro
- National Visa (Germany, stays of duration more than 90 days, category D): 75,00 Euro
- Minors between the age of 6 and 12: 37,50 Euro
Following applicants are exempted from the above-mentioned visa fee:
- Children under the age of 6
- Spouses of German citizens (a copy of their (unabridged) marriage certificate and a copy of the German spouse's passport are required)
- Spouses of EU-citizens if traveling with their EU-spouse (a copy of their (unabridged) marriage certificate and a copy of the EU-spouse's passport are required)
- Minors of EU-citizens ( a copy of the (unabridged) birth certificate and a copy of the EU-parent's passport are required)
- Scholars, students, teachers requiring the visa for studies/further educational purposes
- Researchers, who require the visa for conducting researches and/or for research related purposes
- Invitees of German government organisations
- Members of diplomatic missions stationed in Germany, consular representatives and international organisations, including their spouses and children (not older than 27 years)
All documentation requirements for a successful application need to be met, despite exemption from fees (see requirement sheets). No fees will be refunded, in cases of denials/refusals. The visa fee is not a “granting“ but processing fee.
Please note: Although the information on this website has been prepared with utmost care, we can not accept any responsibility for inaccuracies contained herein.